The training numbers

PERSONNEL TRAINING

Italy 2009 2008 2007
Total hours 164,416 186,654 146,787
Average no. hours of training per employee 47 53 43
Percentage of coverage(1) 91 96 98

(1) Percentage of employees who took at least one training course during the year.

 

AVERAGE NUMBER OF TRAINING HOURS, BROKEN DOWN BY EMPLOYEE CATEGORY

Italy 2009 2008 2007
Senior executives 25 34 25
Junior executives 43 34 38
White-collar workers 45 55 37
Blue-collar workers 53 65 56

In 2009, the total number of training hours and the number per employee showed an increase over 2007 and earlier years, but fell with respect to the peak of 2008, when an extraordinary training campaign on safety (prevention of electric risk) was carried out. Training normally takes place in a classroom, in direct contact with instructors, while only a marginal part (1.2%) is entrusted to online courses.

In 2009, the training dedicated to newly hired employees through the Itineraries constituted 15.0% of total training. Most of the other courses (73.5%) were given in the

Training area. The fact that, as in previous years, more than 90% of all employees were involved in training activities shows the extent of Terna’s commitment to continual training.

The accounting cost of training – which in 2009 amounted to €389 per employee – is not an accurate indicator of Terna’s investment in training. In 2009, only 39% of training hours were outsourced, while the remaining 61% was handled by  the in-house faculty.